top of page
Tax Expert

File Your ITR now

FILING ITR Image.png

Deduction under Section 80CCD of Income Tax


Deduction under Section 80CCD of Income Tax Act - Taxbuddy

In India's intricate landscape of income tax laws, taxpayers often seek ways to optimize their financial portfolio. One avenue that provides substantial benefits is Section 80CCD of the Income Tax Act. This section, designed to encourage retirement planning, offers deductions on contributions made towards the National Pension System (NPS). In this comprehensive guide, we will delve into the intricacies of Section 80CCD, exploring its provisions, eligibility criteria, contribution limits, and the overall impact on your tax liability.


 

Table of Content


 

What is Section 80CCD?

Section 80CCD provides tax benefits for contributions made towards the National Pension System (NPS). The NPS is a voluntary long-term retirement savings scheme designed to enable systematic savings for individuals to secure their financial future post-retirement. Section 80CCD allows taxpayers to avail deductions on the contributions they make to the NPS, thereby encouraging them to participate in retirement planning.


What is Section 80CCD(1) and Section 80CCD(2)

There are two sub-sections under Section 80CCD:


Section 80CCD(1): Employee Contribution

Salaried individuals can claim a deduction for the amount contributed to their NPS account by their employer. The deduction is capped at 10% of the salary (basic salary + dearness allowance).


Section 80CCD(1B): Additional Deduction

An additional deduction of up to Rs. 50,000 is available under Section 80CCD(1B). This deduction is over and above the limit specified in Section 80CCD(1). It is applicable to both salaried and self-employed individuals.


Section 80CCD(2): Employer Contribution

Employers contributing to their employees' NPS accounts can claim a deduction for the employer's contribution, up to 10% of the employee's salary (basic salary + dearness allowance). This deduction is not part of the employee's taxable income.


National Pension Scheme (NPS) and Atal Pension Yojana (APY) under Section 80CCD 


The National Pension Scheme (NPS) and Atal Pension Yojana (APY) are instrumental components of Section 80CCD, offering taxpayers significant avenues for retirement planning with associated tax benefits. Let's delve into the key features and conditions governing these schemes and the deductions under Section 80CCD.


National Pension Scheme (NPS):  

The NPS, introduced by the Central Government, aims to provide an organised pension scheme for Indian citizens. Initially designed for government employees, it was later extended to the private sector and self-employed individuals. Here are the highlights:


Contributions and Eligibility: Mandatory until the age of 70 for Central Government employees; voluntary for others.

A minimum annual contribution of Rs 6,000 is required for Tier 1 Account for Income Tax deduction eligibility.

Minimum annual contribution of Rs 2,000 for Tier 2 Account for Income Tax deduction.


Investment Options: Flexibility to choose from various investment options, options, including Equity funds, Government bonds, and securities.


Withdrawals and Lump-Sum Payout: Partial withdrawals are allowed, up to 25% of the individual's contribution, subject to conditions. Individuals can withdraw up to 60% of the corpus as a lump-sum payout; the remaining 40% must be invested in an annuity plan.


NPS is  Considered one of the most cost-effective equity-linked investment options.